Showing posts with label Congressman Roger Mercado. Show all posts
Showing posts with label Congressman Roger Mercado. Show all posts

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

P88M Subang Daku Bridge Construction For Completion in September

April 18,2012

P88M Subang Daku Bridge Construction For Completion In September
By Quirico M.Gorpido,Jr

Sogod, Southern Leyte-The P88M Subang Daku bridge construction, including the P40M 1.7 kms road concerting, which provides the shortcut trip to the 7-kilometer distance down to the Maharlika Highway, shall be completed on September 30, 2012 as per contract schedule.

This was the disclosure of Assistant District Engr. Manolo Rojas in an interview with the media at the Subang Daku Bridge during the recent media tour visiting all existing undergoing projects of the Dept. of Public Works and Highways.

Rojas revealed that the contractor of the 136.20 linear meter bridge AC Rivero has already installed the 100% substructures of the bridge. It has to be followed by the installation of the super-structures and other related works until the end of September of the current year.

Queried on the schedules written on the projects standard boards among its contractors of the DPWH,the implementing agency of infra projects in the province of Southern Leyte,District Engr. Carlos Veloso confided that mostly contractors have to do their best to comply with the deadline for completion since liquidating damages would be imposed on them for the delay.

“If there’s heavy rains or typhoon a contractor or contractors will send us letters asking for the extension of the projects’ deadline due to the bad weather condition”,Veloso informed, adding that most of them would finished their respective projects before the set deadline.

Project Costs
The P8,495,550.00 Cabulihan road concreting, that the group have visited earlier, carried out by the Square Cube Construction covering 2.5 kms length, was already completed. Both sides of the one-lane standard road has a 1.5 meters shoulder, which according to Engr. Vicent Sy, can be converted into a two-lane road when many vehicles would be passing in the near future.

In a presscon held at the Agas-Agas building, Engr Rojas divulged that as Chairman Committee on Infrastructures Congressman Roger Mercado is bent on making the construction of Guadalupe port realized in not a distant future. Last year the Guadalupe port was supposed to be constructed at the soonest time possible, about one or two months later. However, for some reasons that only the Congressman could say, the project did not materialized.

He claimed that the Guadalupe port will make a shorter travel time of one hour less to Cebu City as compared to Bato or Hilongos which would take 4 to 4.5 hours to reach the port of Cebu.He said that this was the findings of overseas skipper Jun Sabalo of the same barangay.

Gabion Walls
In brgy. Lipanto, St.Bernard a P7M gabion walls was constructed to protect the road from possible erosion or landslide during heavy rains. Engr. Sy said that this kind of protection project is more suitable in landslide-prone areas. It would allow big volumes of rainwater to pass through layers of stones. “Unlike in concreted walls, volumes of water will cause it to burst and will easily damaged”, he said.

Some culverts were also seen around the national road indicating that these are going to be buried along the mountain base to allow the flowing waters from above to flow freely.

Another application of the three-tier gabion structures was also seen in the P19, 735,000.00 river control project of the Lawigan River adjacent to Guinsaugon,a farming village that was buried in just a few minutes by a massive mudslide on Feb. 17,2006 at about 11:00 a.m.Some of the school children and teachers were among those who were buried alive on that traumatic tragedy. Only very few inhabitants were able to escape death during that unforgettable catastrophic event: those who have heard inner voices instructing them to run away; those who were out of Guinsaugon working in various places of Mindanao,Cebu and Metro Manila; and those who were already in other barangays or at the school attending classes in St.Bernard town.
“The main purpose for the construction of the river control projects Sy said, “is to protect the existing several hectares of rice fields and the two big school buildings nearby”.

The aforesaid river control projects have a length of 560 meters. Another similar three-tier structures located farther away has a span of 94 meters worth P2M.Engr.Veloso revealed that the construction of the gabion walls cost P1,000.00 per cubic meter.

Rojas also informed that gabion walls structures are suitable in areas where the foundation base in unstable. Unlike in concrete walling which are prone to bursting when battered by huge volumes of rain waters.

“In gabion structures, volumes of water will pass through layers of stones and it’s flexible even if in case the structures will sink”, Rojas also explained.

Saddle Road Status
Asked by a broadcast journalist on the status of the so-called “saddle road” curved along a steep cliff leading to San Ricardo which is potentially dangerous to both the bus and its passengers. Its defense structures along the cliff are quite unreliable.

Rojas replied saying that his office has sent resolution to MalacaƱang regarding the condition of the said road. He said that DPWH Manila has found saddle road condition as
to be of necessity for improvement. This is to provide protection among travelers to the place.

He intimated that DPWH main office thru its Secretary Rogelio Singson has approved its regular infra budget of P700M including the saddle road improvements.

The DPWH official also stated that Congressman Mercado is determined and consistent in his desire that San Rafael-Bontoc road concreting would be completed. The road upon completion will serve the Maasin farmers in bringing their products to Sogod town and vice versa in shorter travel time. He said that a fund of P6M was allocated for the first phase.

Transparency
In an answer to a query, Engr. Veloso clarified that the purpose of conducting a media tour, which is on its second year, is to implement DPWH policy of transparency under the new Administration. This means that the media and other stakeholders can report to DPWH office any defect or damaged that they’ve seen on its infra projects anywhere in the entire province

He implied that the media can even make constructive criticism when necessary just to make a DPWH concerned official act quickly on his responsibility to the traveling public.

When asked who are those considered as stakeholders, Engr. Rojas said that it includes the bus drivers, motorists, pedestrians, commuters, vehicle owners/operators, tourists, farmers and other individuals.

On the other hand, DPWH’s biddings on its current 25 projects in the province are now electronically done, Rojas pointed out. He stressed that now there’s no limit on the application of bidders to participate on the bidding process. “A bidder can send letter of application even on the last day of schedule for the bidding of projects”, he clarified.

Rojas also said that representatives from different sectors can openly attend during the actual bidding of projects at the DPWH office at the Capitol Site compound in Maasin; or at the designated venue that the office has chosen.(Quirico M.Gorpido,Jr.)

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

DPWH Conducts Groundbreaking on Three Bridges

March 28,2012



DPWH Conducts Groundbreaking Ceremonies For Three Bridges Worth P31M Plus
By Quirico M. Gorpido,.Jr.

Maasin City, Southern Leyte-The Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH)has conducted groundbreaking ceremonies for three bridges including one old bridge in San Roque,Macrohon for reconstructions with a total worth of P31,925,635.76.

The aforesaid bridges were the Combado bridge built during the Spanish colonization with a cost of P7,031,013.21.It was contracted by the Square Cube Construction; Abgao bridge otherwise known as Tuburan bridge built in 1916 costing P9,073,182.55.Its contractor was the Lady of Assumption; San Roque bridge amounting to P15,821,460.00.Also contracted by the Square Cube Construction.

During the rites Congressman Roger Mercado speaking before the spectators and barangay officials disclosed that the funds was released thru the DPWH Secretary Rogelio Singson as he initiated for its approval in Congress and signed by the Aquino Administration.

Combado Barangay Captain Ernesto Galleon and San Roque Barangay Captain Felix Maitem both expressed their appreciation and profuse thanks to the Solon for his efforts in realizing their requests thru endorsements of the Barangay Councils resolutions.

SP Albert Esclamado,speaking on behalf of Governor Damian Mercado, likewise reiterated for emphasis what Representative Mercado has revealed regarding the infra funds.
\
Maitem further confided that the reconstruction of the old San Roque bridge “is a dream come true”. “For many years we have been dreaming for this bridge’s reconstruction. Now this is the realization of our long dream”.

Vice-Mayor Allan Aroy, representing Mayor Fe Edillo, also thanked the Congressman.

ON the other hand, some city dwellers who frequently passed the Abgao bridge questioned on its reconstruction, saying the bridge “is still good”.

However, Mayor Maloney Samaco divulged that the seemingly strong bridge has already some cracks as discovered upon oral inspection during the past mayorship of the incumbent Governor Mercado and he as his Vice.

The Congressman also directed DPWH Engineers led by District Engineer Carlos Veloso, who will implement the bridge projects, to preserve the two combado bridge huge markers being historical relics.

He suggested that the Spanish-built markers be placed at the public plaza or any appropriate public place for general viewing.

In an interview with Mercado at San Roque bridge he intimated that the initial funds was granted by the past GMA Administration for the province’s bridge projects. “And the funds now use in these bridges reconstructions are the remaining budget. With the change in the administration rein it was the Aquino Administration that approved and released upon his lobbying,” he said in Cebuano.

Mercado also unfolded that the construction of Sogod bridge, the first of the program, would provide short cut trips of 7 kilometers to the national highway.

The total cost of its construction, according to DPWH’s Engineer Vicent Sy was P88M including road concreting to the amount of P40M.

The Southern Leyte Representative further admonished San Roque officials to take good care of their bridge upon completion.

Earlier, Rev. Garnet John Quirong of the Maasin Parish officiated the blessing of the ground breaking ceremonies led by Engr. Veloso with the participation of his colleagues, Congressman Mercado, Esclamado, and concerned barangay officials.

Contractor- Engineer Alberto Barola of the Lady of Assumption has promised to Mercado that he and his men will try their best to finish the reconstruction of Abgao bridge before July 1, 2012, which is the 52nd founding day anniversary of the province of Southern Leyte. The work would be carried out on a day and night shifting.

The three capsules, which according to Engr. Veloso contained each of the bridge’s plan, were buried respectively near the bridge during the rites.

Also present, among others, were Assistant District Engineer Manolo Rojas,Engr. Cleonides Olarte of DPWH’s quality control, Engr. Mercado and the local media.(Quirico M. Gorpido,Jr.)

Related Tags